Mantı is one of the traditional Turkish dishes you must try. It's "dumpling like" dish consist of a spiced meat mixture, usually lamb or ground beef, in a dough wrapper. The dough is made of water, egg, flour and salt.
There are two ways to cook this Mantı , either you can cook in plain boiling water or you can cook them in tomato sauce.
Here I post my homemade Mantı with some step by step picture so you can make them easily and experience one of traditional Turkish meal :D
- 2 cups flour (plus a few tablespoons if necessary)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup olive oil (or other vegetable oil)
- ½ to ¾ cup of water at room temperature.
- ± 200 g minced beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped.
- 2 cloves garlic (optional), crushed and finely chopped.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter for sauteing.
1) Make the shell dough: On a clean working desk, place the flour, make a "pit" in the middle, give salt, olive oil and eggs. Slowly stir the mixture while gradually pouring water.If the dough is already fairly wet, not need to add water again. Knead until smooth and not sticky at your hand. Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and rest for 30 ~ 40 minutes.
2) Meantime we can make filling: Heat the butter, stir-fry garlic and onion, saute until wilted and fragrant, turn off heat.
in medium bowl mix all ingredients: minced beef, onion+garlic, season with pepper and salt. Add paprika powder, stir and test the taste. Set a side.
3) Finishing: halved the dough, cover one part with a napkin so as not dry. Using a rolling pin (or rolling machine) flat the dough very thin. Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, make cuts about 5 x 5 cm wide (such as figure 2). Give filling mixture and close up to form a triangular shape (figure 3 and 4). Fold the ravioli as figure 5, 6 and 7. Or you can fold (shape) this ravioli according to your taste, this time I made one simple nice shape that you can try.
4) Boil water ± 1.5 Lt, give small amount of vegetable oil, cook the ravioli in boiling water for approximately 10 ~ 15 minutes. Mantı or ravioli is ready to served with a variety of recipes and sauces.
Have a try (^_^)