My first post in 2015. İt's İndonesian style yellow chicken braised in coconut milk. İt's been quite sometimes İ didn't eat anything made by coconut milk. Beside coconut milk is very rare and expensive thing here in Turkey, also İ'm not really fan of meal in coconut milk-- İ mean as main dish or side dish. İ like coconut (any part of it, e.g coconut water, coconut milk, fresh coconut flesh) but as dessert. İndonesia as part of Asia country has various dessert with coconut as main ingredients ( check my other post about İndonesian dessert and snack).
This Opor ayam kuning recipe İ get from my mom. She normally uses free caged chicken ( we call it ayam kampung) which have tastier meat. And in my hometown we make fresh coconut milk from fresh coconut which easily found in any corner of our alley... How İ miss my hometown....
Well...anyway..İf you want to experience İndonesian home cooking meal..here İ write down my mom's recipe
Serve about 10~12
1 chicken-better free caged one- (about 1,5 kg)
1 kaffir lime (İ use lemon), juice it
Clean and cut chicken into 10 ~12 part as your taste. Toss with kaffir lime juice (or lemon juice) and sit for about 20~30 minutes, then wash and drain.
- about 10~15 red shallots (bawang merah)
- about 10 medium cloves of garlic (bawang putih)
- about 3/4 tbsp white peppercorn (merica)
- about 2 cm turmeric (kunyit) *
- about 5~7 pcs candlenuts (kemiri) *
- 1 Tbsp coriander* (ketumbar)
- small pinch of caraway seed (jintan) * optional
- galangal about 1 segment thumb
- fresh ginger about 2 cm
- few tbsp cooking oil for sauté
You can use mortar and pestle to mashed you ingredients or hand blender.
other spice to sauté with:
- 3~4 kaffir lime leaf (daun jeruk purut)
- about 3 bay leaves (daun salam)
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised white part only
- salt 1 1/2 tbsp and sugar 1/2 tbsp or to taste
- 1 can (about 500 ml) coconut milk add hot water about 400 ml ( my mom recipe using 1 lt coconut milk--> 50:50 very thick : thin coconut milk)
How to cook:
Heat oil in a wok. sauté ground spices together with kaffir lime,bay leaves, and lemongrass. Sauté until aromatic and color changed from light yellow to deep yellow. Stir in chicken.. toss until all chicken change color and cooked. Add about 2 cup of water.
Move to big pot and continue to cook in medium heat until all chicken cooked trough. Season with salt and sugar. Then mix in coconut milk. Continue to cook until boiling, stir once in a while. Check the taste. Remove from heat.
Serve warm with steamed rice or rice cake (lontong)