Like previously I mentioned on my last post, I shared some "dutch influence" foods in my previous post, like Oliebollen, Kaastengels, Kroketten, Bitterballen, and much more
Perkedel came from Dutch language, frikadel. Frikadel originally from Europe which is made from minced meat and fried. But in Indonesia we adapted that food according to our taste and our common ingredients. This perkedel made from mashed potatoes mix with minced meat then we fry it. Commonly we eat this as side dish or complement of Nasi tumpeng or nasi kuning (yellow rice)
And since I didn't make this perkedel so long..I kinda miss and crave about it... And also I wanna introduce more food variety as many as I can to my little girl. And if you want to make this vegetarian version you just can skip minced meat and just go ahead with use only potatoes.
- About 600 gr peeled potato, cut into chunk /kentang , kupas, potong kecil-kecil
- 150 gr mince meat/daging cincang (skip this for vegetarian version)
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly slice/ bawang putih, iris tipis
- 5 shallots, thinly slice/ bawang merah, iris tipis
- 1/4 tsp peppercorns/ 1/4 sdt merica butiran
- 1 1/4 tsp salt or to taste/ garam sesuai selera
- 2~3 celery, thinly slice/ seledri, cincang halus
- 2 medium eggs, separated white from yolks/ butir telur ukuran sedang, pisahkan kuning dan putihnya.
- Enough cooking oil for frying/ minyak goreng secukunya untuk menggoreng
- Heat enough cooking oil in a wok/ pan. Fry potato chunks until cooked through. Then mash it with mortar and pestle, move to big bowl and set a side. Quick fry minced meat with about 1 tablespoon oil, let it juicy, continue stir fry until all juice dry and meat change color. Remove from heat and mix with mashed potato. Set a side.
- Stir fry shallot slice and garlic few minutes until just a bit reddish. Remove and drain the excess oil. Put it on mortar and pestle together with peppercorn and salt. Mash the spice until smooth. Mix into mashed potato. Mix in egg yolks and sliced celery, mix well to combine. Check the taste. Take the batter about one tablespoon, shape it round and flatten it make patties. Do to all potato dough.
- Heat about 300 ml cooking oil in medium pan (just enough to submerged the patties later). Beat the egg white nicely. Dip potato patty in egg white then fry them until golden brown. DO NOT FLIPPING THEM TOO MUCH, just watch them browns in each side. Remove from heat and drain the excess oil.