Selam everybody.... Merhaba from Turkey.
We call it "Bolu Kukus Mekar" in Indonesian language. Bolu means cake, Kukus= Steamed and Mekar is blooming (like a flower). This is also one of Indonesian traditional snack that been exist from long time ago.
I remember my late grandmother made this so often for us, me and my siblings and aunties (we lived together at same house at that time). We love bolu kukus so much.
Then after my grandmother past away, my aunties usually made it for special occasion or just for tea time.
Old recipe mostly required local (Indonesian) soda drink in the ingredients. But when I tried to make it here with local soda water/ drink, I never make it correctly. The "blooming" couldn't appear nicely like my grandmother/ aunties made. So I start to find a way how to make that "blooming" effect appear. One time I browsed over internet and find another Asian dessert similar with this cake calls "huat kuih". That cake has blooming appearance like our bolu, steamed also, but totally different recipe, no emulsifier require. So I made that Huat kuih once ( I will post them later).. the texture and taste different from our bolu kukus mekar which I'm looking for. But I wonder how that Huat Kuih can have "blooming effect".. Maybe it use self raising flour plus baking powder in it.
So I dare my self to make this Bolu Kukus Mekar without soda water/drink. And since I have still some Oranges I want to make new variant also for this Bolu Kukus Mekar. This bolu taste is very nice, light and fluffy with strong orange and taste and flavor, so it's not just having orange color in it. And with chocolate strip adding more delish twist for this beautiful snack/ dessert. Try it..and tell me what you think.
For you who want to try this traditional Indonesian Bolu Kukus Mekar..below I write my recipe for you...
Make about 10 cupcakes
What you need:
Steamer, cup cake mold and paper
- 200 ml fresh squeezed orange juice (from about 2 big or 3 medium oranges)
- Zest from 1 big orange
- All purpose flour 135 gr
- 130 gr caster sugar (you can add up to 140 gr if you have very sour orange)
- 2 tsp emulsifier
- 1 egg (about 72 gr)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- few drops orange food color
- 1 tsp dark cocoa powder
- few drops dark brown food color (or black forest paste)
|You can see my cupcake mold and paper with tulip style (I cut from parchment paper)|
--You can use normal cupcake paper.
Heat enough water in your steamer pot to produce enough steam.
In big mixing bowl, put everything (except orange coloring and ingredient for chocolate strip). With electric mixer, beat about 15 minutes until become very thick batter and reach ribbon stage (When you spoon the batter and try to pour it back, it'll take few second to drop back). You need to get the batter to reach this thick stage otherwise you will not get blooming effect in you cupcake.
Separate about 120 gr and mix with 1 tsp cocoa powder and dark brown food coloring, mix it well. And add orange color to the rest of batter, mix it well to combine. Pour orange batter into cupcake batter 3/4 full, then start gradually add chocolate batter and orange until full. Steam in high heat about 15 minute.
It's very important to mix batter until really thick.
Use high heat to produce many steam and do not open steamer lid during steaming process.
- 200 ml perasan jeruk sunkist yang segar (sekitar 2 ukuran besar/ 3 ukuran sedang)
- Zest dari 1 buah sunkist besar
- 135 gr tepung terigu serba guna
- 130 gr gula pasir (bisa ditambah hingga 140 gr jika jus jeruknya asam)
- 2 sdt emulsifier
- 1 telur sedang (sekitar 72 gr)
- 1 sdt baking powder
- pewarna makanan oranye
- 1 sdt bubuk (dark) kakao
- Pewarna makanan coklat (atau black forest paste)
- Panaskan kukusan dengan api besar.
- Masukkan semua bahan kecuali pewarna orange dan bahan untuk coklat. Mixer kecepatan tinggi sekitar 15 menit (sampai sangat kental)--jika kita ambil dengan sendok dan menuangnya lagi, butuh waktu beberapa detik.
- Ambil adonan sekitar 120 gr. Campur dengan bubuk kakao dan pewarna coklat (perasa black forest). Sisanya tambahkan pewana oranye.
- Tuang adonan oranye hingga 3/4 penuh, lalu mulai selang seling dengan adonan coklat hingga penuh.
- Kukus dengan uap banyak dan api besar selama kurleb 15 menit.
Pastikan adonan sangat kental ketika proses mikser
Kukus dengan api besar sehingga menghasilkan uap yang banyak selama mengukus. Jangan membuka tutup kukusan selama proses mengukus.
Selamat mencoba dan semoga bermanfaat.