Assalamu'alaikum.... Merhaba fom Turkiye.
Ramazanimiz Mubarek Olsun...... Wishing you and family blessed and joyful Ramadhan.... May Allah accept all your prayers in this holy month.
In Turkey the atmosphere welcoming Ramadhan is so warm and make me feel a bit miss my homeland. Every where people say "Hayirli Ramazanlar" to each other as selam. I can feel that everyone rejoice welcoming this grace month......
And there is one bread which only found in Ramadhan month.... it's ramazan pidesi (Ramadhan pide bread). Every public baker or market sell this pide only in Ramadhan. It's slightly leavened flat bread with egg glazed and sprinkle with black and white sesame seeds. This pide slightly more expensive compare normal daily bread.
Here my recipe for you who want to make it at home. the method is same as when you make bread, just you flatten it and glaze with egg yolk.... it's so fluffy and yummy to try...
make 2 medium pide bread.
- 600 gr all purpose flour (you can mix with whole wheat flour)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 250 ml warm milk+50 ml warm water
- 2 1/2 tsp dry yeast (or 40 gr fresh yeast)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- black and white sesame seed
How to make:
- In small bowl mix 1 tbsp flour, half warm milk (125 ml), sugar 1 tsp and yeast. Mix well and let it stand about 10~15 minute until foamy.
- Sift flour with salt into big mixing bowl. Make a well in middle, pour in half milk (125 ml) and yeast mixture, knead lightly until all blended. Add in 2 Tbsp olive oil, continue knead the dough until smooth and elastic, not stick on your finger. You can add water from that 50 ml gradually if you find your dough still hard. Shape into ball and cover with plastic wrap or damp towel. Let it rest in room temperature until it double in volume (the time it depend on your local humidity and temperature).
- Hit the dough to remove air and lightly knead on floured working table. Divide dough into 2 equal part and shape them into balls and let them rest again for about 15 minutes.
- Pre heat oven at 190~200 deg C. line 2 baking tray with parchment paper. With your palm flatten each dough into flatter round shape and arrange each onto baking tray.
- lightly beat egg yolk and olive oil, equally spread it over the dough. Use your fingers to spread the glaze all over the bread then using fingers tip pressing all around the edges (about 5 cm from edges). Still use your fingers tip then press all over the pide (try to make diamond shape). Sprinkle with black and white sesame seed and let them rest 5 minute more.
- Bake them for about 10 minute or until golden brown on surface.