Selam everybody...Merhaba from Turkey...
The mixture for coffee is made from anise seeds, fennel seeds, ginger and cardamom. Although it is primarily used in brewing coffee, it is also used in desserts, cakes and slow-cooked meat dishes. In Aden, the mixture is made with ginger, cardamom, cloves, and cinnamon for black coffee, and when used for tea excludes the ginger
Basically hawaij made by roasting – coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, whole black peppercorns until aromatic and made into a powder. Very few and very basic spices are used for making the dish.
So here it's the spices list to make Hawaij mixture:
- 2 ½ tablespoon cumin powder
- 2 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon cardamom powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ½ teaspoon cloves powder
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (Optional)
See my Yemeni Chicken Mandi using this Hawaij spice mixture here.