Dumplings are a food that consists of small pieces of dough, either cooked alone or wrapped around a filling. They can be based on flour, potatoes or bread, and may include meat, fish, vegetables, or sweets. They may be cooked by boiling, steaming, simmering, frying, or baking. They may have a filling, or there may be other ingredients mixed into the dough. Dumplings may be sweet or savoury. They can be eaten by themselves, in soups or stews, with gravy, or in any other way. While some dumplings resemble solid water-boiled doughs, such as gnocchi, others such as wontons or ravioli feature a wrapping of dough around a filling-Wiki
I love dumpling and as Asian I prefer Asian -- any kind-- of Asian dumpling. Whether it's steaming or fried or pot sticker.I was craving this "money bag" dumpling for while ago but I keep postpone it due to my "spring cleaning" schedule which I just could do this early May since cold weather and raining so often in last April. You know, making dumpling from starch takes some times. We must make the wonton wrap first, then make filling, then fry, then prepare the dipping sauce.. (^,^) . What do you think?? Will you still make it?? It's worthy though ... (^,^)
As some sources is a traditional dim sum brunch includes various types of steamed buns such as cha siu baau, dumplings and rice noodle rolls (cheong fun), which contain a range of ingredients, including beef, chicken, pork, prawns and vegetarian options. Many dim sum restaurants also offer plates of steamed green vegetables, roasted meats, congee porridge and other soups. Dessert dim sum is also available and many places offer the customary egg tart.
Dim sum can be cooked by steaming and frying, among other methods. The serving sizes are usually small and normally served as three or four pieces in one dish. It is customary to order family style, sharing dishes among all members of the dining party. Because of the small portions, people can try a wide variety of food.
- about 20 to 25 wonton skin (ready one or you can see recipe below)
- Enough cooking oil for deep fry ( I use canola)
- about 100 gr minced chicken
- 100 gr minced shrimp
- 50 gr minced oyster mushrooms (you can use shitake)
- 50 gr finely chopped carrot/ or shredded (from about half medium carrot)
- 5 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 stalk green onion, finely sliced
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- sugar about 1 tsp to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp cornstarch
For wrap/ tie:
some chives/ spring onion/ spring garlic/ pandan leaf (*). Boil in hot salty water for 1 or 2 minutes. Drain it and dry them with kitchen towel.
(*) If you use pandan leaf or like my spring garlic to wide, tear lengthwise into strings
For dipping sauce:
- about 1 cup Hot Chili sauce ( I use ABC chili sauce)
- about half cup soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp honey
- sesame seeds (optional)
How to make Money Bag:
Mix all filling ingredients, test the taste. You might add sugar or salt or black pepper.
Take one wonton wrapper, put about half tablespoon or one heap Tbsp of filling mixture in the middle side, take each side of wonton to middle and wrap it like a bag then tie up with your prepared "strings".
Do same procedure until all filling finish.
Heat enough cooking oil for deep fry. Fry your dumpling until golden brown probably in few batches.
Enjoy warm with dipping sauce and tea. Ask as much as you can your friends or family members to join this tea party (^,^)
How to make Wonton Wrapper:
Make about 30 pieces/ 440 gr
- 250 gr all purpose flour
- 50 gr tapioca starch, more for sprinkling
- 6 gr salt
- 15 ml cooking oil
- about 130 gr hot boiling water.
- Mix boiling water and cooking oil, set a side.
- Mix all flour and salt in mixing bowl, make a hole in the middle then pour liquid mixture into it.
- With wooden spoon, start to mix them all to roughly dough, then when it's cool enough to handle, start to knead for about 15 minute and until it smooth.
- Round it and let it rest for about 30 minutes. Divide the dough into 4 equal part and start working out one piece at a time.
- I use my rolling pasta machine to roll my dough. start from number 5 (thicker) until number 9 (thinnest). Then cut rectangle about 10 cm square.
How to keep wonton wrapper:
Sprinkle generously tapioca starch between layer (or you can use pieces baking paper). Keep in air tight container/ ziplock bag and keep in freezer. Thaw before use.