Yes, it's Steamed Cheese cake. Of course it's different from other cheese cake that you ever seen-e.g New york cheese cake or German cheese cake.
But this "Kue Keju" - that we usually call it- already become my favorite (and everybody Else's fave) since I was a kid. Mostly we use cheddar cheese for this cake and for some other cakes/ desserts. I think it's the most easy cheese to find in Indonesia. We eat and make anything with this kind of cheese. Of course there are also other kind of cheese, but this one- I think- is most common one since I was a kid until now.
When my huby saw me made this cake, he asked: Is it for dessert or main course? @(^_^)@ Because he usually eat this cheddar cheese with bread as main meal. Well.. after he eat and taste it... he said it's differently delicious.. hahahaha...
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/4 cup powdered milk
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder.
- 1/2 cup grated unsalted cheddar cheese
- 100 gr unsalted butter. Melted.
For the toppings and garnishes:
- ready-made whipped cream
- Enough Shredded unsalted cheddar cheese
- chocolate chip or fruit canned Cherry.
1) Prepare your steamer pot, fill with enough water and heat over medium heat. Grease a 7" baking pan (springform pan) with butter. Set aside.
2) Sift and mix together: flour, milk powder, cornstarch and baking powder. Set aside.
3) Using electric mixer, whisk eggs and sugar. Mix in salt and beat again until thick,pale and fluffy. Mix in the flour mixture gradually, stirring with mixer with on-off method until flour mixture finish.
4) Mix in grated cheese, mix on-off until blended.
5) Gradually pour melted butter and fold with a spatula until blended. Pour into a mold and steam over medium heat for about 45 minutes. Test with a bamboo skewer, if it is not sticky, the cake is ready to remove from pan.
Always Wrap your steamer lid with napkin or towels so that moisture will not drip on your cake's surface which will make bad surface .
Let cake cool completely before given a garnish.
Brush the entire surface of cake with whipped cream and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Canned Cherry will be more beautiful to decorate your cake. But here I just use the existing supply of chocolate chips