♥♥ When two Cultures mixed (。◕‿◕。) Everything in my Page are only simple thing, but I did it with great love.

CAKE IN JAR, RAINBOW CAKE for YKMK Challenge#09


Good thing if you join in a foodie group is sometimes they make cooking challenge with certain theme.. so if you do not have any idea for cooking/ baking you will just happily cooking/ baking with that defined theme.
Or if you never cooking/ baking on that certain theme because many reasons...you will just be challenged to do it... Just like me...

And this month #YKMK (your kitchen my kitchen) one of Indonesian base foodie group gathering another baking challenge with theme: Rainbow Cake in Jar. This baking challenge asking you who joining to make and present rainbow cake (any cake base) in a jar.
I never bake rainbow cake before. Many reasons... one biggest reasons is I didn't have many baking pan which required for making rainbow cake. For making rainbow cake layer you at least need 3 or 4 baking pan/ baking tray for bake each layer/ color.

And thank you to my sister and my mom sent me (finally) a three segments baking tray last month (you can see picture below). It's indeed for making layer cake commonly "lapis surabaya".
Each segment has 10x25x4 cm so the tray it self has 30x25x4 cm square.
For rainbow cake base I use Martha Steward's rainbow cake recipe. For buttercream I simply use vanilla flavor rainbow whipped cream. I convert measurement ingredient to metric but I still write original recipe for you.
For this rainbow cake in jar I make half recipe from recipe below.

INGREDIENTS:

Vegetable shortening--> I use butter
3 cups all-purpose flour--> 400 gr
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature--> 227 gr
2 1/3 cups sugar--> about 380 gr
5 large egg whites, room temperature--> about 225 gr
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract--> I use vanilla essence
1 1/2 cups milk, room temperature--> 300 ml
Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple gel food coloring

Lemony Swiss Meringue Buttercream--> I use vanilla rainbow whipped cream
Additional from me: I use raspberry jam in between the layer
 DIRECTIONS 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (180 deg C). Brush six 9-inch-round cake pans (or as many 9-inch cake pans as you have, reusing them as necessary) with shortening. Line bottom of each cake pan with parchment paper; brush again and set aside. I use my baking tray like picture above plus 1 loaf pan with same size.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar. Slowly add egg whites and mix until well combined. Add vanilla and mix until fully incorporated. Add flour mixture and milk in two alternating additions, beginning with the flour and ending with the milk. Mix until well combined.

Divide batter evenly between six medium bowls (I divide into 4 colors only). Add enough of each color of food coloring to each bowl, whisking, until desired shade is reached. Transfer each color to an individual cake pan. Transfer to oven and bake until a cake tester inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean, about 15 minutes (working in batches if necessary).

Remove cakes from oven and transfer to a wire rack; let cool for 10 minutes. Invert cakes onto a wire rack; re-invert and let cool completely.

Using a serrated knife, trim tops of cakes to make level. Place four strips of parchment paper around perimeter of a serving plate or lazy Susan. Place the purple layer on the cake plate. Spread a scant 1 cup buttercream filling over the first layer with a small offset spatula so it extends just beyond edges. Repeat process with blue, green, yellow, and orange layers. 
For this step, I just simply cut my cakes with rings cutter in desired diameters and put inside jars and glass I prepared before. I layered with vanilla whipped cream and small amount raspberry jam in between.

Place the remaining red layer on top, bottom-side up. Gently sweep away any loose crumbs with a pastry brush. Using an offset spatula, cover the top and sides with a thin layer of frosting (also use any of the excess frosting visible between the layers). Refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes.
Well..after my trial using my new baking tray and this recipe... maybe I will make this rainbow cake again..and next time in whole layer cake! (^,^)
I love my new baking tray! (^,^)
loading...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Loving my blog? Please help me to share to your friends and tell to the world that my blog contents are valuable and interesting to visit. Subscribe or follow my Facebook, Tweeter, Pinterest or my instagram

My License

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License. www.myhomediaryinturkey.blogspot.com

Copyright

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected