|All are edible except those toothpick :)|
Maybe this is my last post in 2014 and also 1st post on 2015. Because İ was planning to post this lemon cake decoration for #YKMK challenge #8 for their 1st anniversary.
As İ mentioned in my previous post about this YKMK (Your Kitchen My Kitchen) is a Foodie community based in İndonesian language.
And this very early 2015, 1st Jan.. they celebrates their 1st anniversary. And for celebrating it they gather an event challenge calls "B'day Cake". Every contestant should present 1 decorated cake--widely range from any cake decorating idea and ingredients e.g fondant, butter cream, ganache, whipped cream, etc... see the rules for joining this event... Hurry.. it's just starting and will end on last January 2015.
So for Joining this event challenge İ prepare this anniversary cake. İ make this cake with just anything İ had in my fridge. İ had some left over fondant from my last cake decoration and some box of whipped cream. All İ need is just make our favorite cake. And for 'kicking' the flavor, İ also prepare lemon curd for filling between the layer....hmm.... so yummy!!
For you who wants to try this recipe even without decorating it, here İ include the recipe too. The lemon cake was ssoo moist and delicious...İ just love it and definitely will make this again later. And for lemon curd you can check my link here. Make a head for your lemon curd.
So..let's go to kitchen ... ! ^,^
İngredients for base:
- 180 gr all purpose flour
- 6 egg yolks from medium size eggs, room temperature
- 5 egg White, medium sıze eggs room temperature
- 125 gr + 125 gr caster sugar (you can add up to 20gr)
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 lemon, zest and juice about 2 or 3 Tbsp
- 90 ml sunflower oil (or other vegetable oil)
- 115 gr room temperature soft butter + for grease your pan
- 1 tsp lemon essence (optional) or vanilla
1. Preheat your oven to 160C. Brush your 8" pan generously with butter.( See tips here to bake an even flat cake.) set a side
2.Sifted together flour, salt and baking soda into medium bowl, stir in 125 gr sugar and lemon zest. Set a side.
3. Put very soft butter on other mixing bowl, slowly mix in sun flower oil. Stir in egg yolks, keep mix it to combine. Stir in zest, juice and lemon essence, mix well after each addition. Add this mixture to flour mixture all at once. Mix to well combine.
4. Beat egg whites until foamy, gradually beat in remaining125 gr sugar until glossy stiff peaks form. A bit of whipped egg rubbed between fingers feels smooth, not gritty.
5. Fold 1/3 of whipped whites into yolk mixture until evenly mixed. Then fold in remainder just until streaks almost disappear. Pour into prepared pan, smooth top.
6. Bake in centre of preheated oven for about 60 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in cake middle comes out clean. Cool cake completely before unmold.
|Happy 1st Anniversary YKMK !!|
- 200 gr powdered whipped cream
- 200~225 ml very cold milk (or water)
- 2 tsp gelatin
- 8 tsp water
- lemon essence (optional)
- food coloring ( İ use purple for the roses)
|İ use small star tip and petal tip for roses|
Meanwhile in big bowl mix whipped cream and cold milk until fluffy and smooth (about 5 minutes), mix in lemon essence then gelatin. Continue mix until well combine about 5 minute more. Coloring it according to your need.
Keep in fridge before used.
İ made this fondant chef as topping few days before together with my daughter. She was enjoying making it like playing with her play dough ^,^
There are also spoon, fork , table knife and ketjap bottle as a YKMK logo.
And Happy 1st Anniversary for YKMK !! ^,