Actually is very fresh yet cold today due to snowing today, so I decided to walk out of house a little with my kid..then suddenly end up to butcher because I remembered I didn't have meat stock and I want to make something that my husband like it's, Hünkar Beğendi
Hünkar Beğendi, literally means Sultan(king)'s Favorite. So maybe this meal was one of Sultan's favorite during Ottoman emperor. I can not find any further literature about this meal, so if you my readers know more about it, please do share with me here, okay? ^,^
Hünkar Beğendi is a puree made of roasted eggplant served with gravy meat over it. Traditionally people use lamb or goat meat for the gravy but some also using beef meat.
Anywaaaayyyyy...... this Sultan's favorite is also one of my husband favorite also.. so I call this also "Husband Beğendi" haha..... ^,^
Serve about 2 share.
Ingredients and how to make
For eggplants puree:
- 4 ~ 5 medium eggplants (about 700 gr)
- about 3 Tbsp butter
- about 2 Tbsp flour
- about 3 cup milk
- about 100 ~200 gr shredded cheddar cheese (for some people it's optional, but for me it a must since my husband prefer with it)
- pinch of salt to taste
- With fork or knife stab eggplants in some places then direct broil over the stove until tender. Peel and remove the seeds. Chopped finely the eggplants meat. Note: you also can broil in oven.
- Heat butter over medium sauce pan, mix in flour and saute until flour crumble and slightly brown. Slowly add in milk and cook for one or two minutes before adding chopped eggplants. Stir and cook until it slightly thicken. Mix in cheese. Salt it will be optional if you use sharp and salty cheese, so check the taste first before adding it.
- About 500 gr ~ 800 gr meat, cut into chunk
- about 1 ~2 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp chilly paste (you can replace with fully tomato paste)
- salt and pepper to taste
How to make meat sauce:
- Heat butter in sauce pan, add meat and cook until tender ( I usually pour half glass of water and cook the meat until the water is dry then continue to cook for few minutes until tender).
- Stir in onion and garlic, saute just until they are wilted and fragrant. Add the paste, salt and black pepper powder. Pour about 1 cup broth or water then continue to cook until boiling.
How to serve, put eggplant puree over a plate then flush with meat sauce. Sprinkle with chopped parsley is even better.
Afiyet Olsun-Bon appetite.