I think now everyone is familiar with sate/ satay. One of Indonesia's most popular traditional foods and become every one's favorite. I personally really really really am number one fans of satay :p . In Indonesia it self there are many types of satay from various regions and of various ingredients. For example, from Padang city (Sumatra), I like satay Padang. There are also "sate kelapa" (beef satay wrapped with grated coconut-My best favorite)-it's mostly from Madura Island, quail eggs satay, clam satay, 'tempeh' satay and there are dozens of other types of satay (which is nearly I have eaten already). For mutton/ lamb satay you check here for the recipe
Beside of many variations of satay, satay usually also served with various sauces. "Sate Padang" has different sauce from most general one--You can check recipe here . There is also satay with sweet soy sauce (kecap manis) here the recipe . This time I made chicken satay with peanut sauce--the most common and popular sauce among of all.
Things you will need:- 2 boneless chicken breasts. Diced 2x2 cm, puncture on satay skewer.
- kaffir Lime or lemon
- Sweet soy sauce/ kecap manis
- Some shallots, finely sliced , set aside, sprinkle when serve.
- 2 cups of fried peanut.
- 2 ~ 3 large red chilies. Diced to make it easier to mashed.
- some birdseye chili peppers (giving spicy hot flavor- add as your prefer)
- 5 ~ 6 cloves garlic
- 2 shallots
- 3~5 kaffir lime leaves, roughly chopped
- about 1 tbsp of gula jawa/ palm sugar (if you can not find it, brown sugar may be substituted)
* Heat enough cooking oil on frying pan . Saute peanut and all ingredients (except palm/ brown sugar and kaffir leaves). Stir fry for about 3 or 4 minutes and remove from heat. Mash it all together with palm sugar (you can use blender to do it). Then move into sauce pan, pour in a small amount of hot water--to be able to stirred and thicker than gravy sauce. Mix in kaffir leaves and bring to boil over medium heat. Peanut sauce is now ready to use.
|I marinate with peanut sauce+Sweet soy sauce+lemon juice before grill|
Mix the peanut sauce with soy sauce and lemon juice (if you want hot flavor you can add chili sambal or pieces of cayenne pepper). Flush satay with peanut sauce mixture, sprinkle with sliced shallot.