Nasi Goreng or fried rice is one of Indonesian national food with rice as main ingredients, stir- fried in margarine/ butter or cooking oil generally cooked with Kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce), shrimp paste, sambal (chilly), shallots, garlic, egg or other variety spices and ingredients.
In 2011, an Internet poll conducted by CNN International and attended by 35,000 people put fried rice (nasi goreng) on the second rank in the list of '50 most delicious food in the world 'after rendang.
Fried rice spread to Southeast Asia brought by Chinese immigrants who settled there and created a local typical fried rice which is based on the difference in the spices and stir-fry way. Fried rice actually comes from several properties in the Chinese culture, which did not like the taste of cold food and also remove the leftovers a few days earlier. Hence, the cold rice and then fried to be served back.
There are different kinds of fried rice recipe but the main element is rice, cooking oil, soy sauce. In addition, many other extras that may be included, ranging from vegetables, meat, until the chili, sauces, crackers and fried eggs. Fried rice in Indonesia and in other countries can have its own variations depending on the region of origin and seasonings or ingredients used. This variation is usually influenced by the foods commonly used by local communities.
My today's post is one of fried rice' variant, it calls Nasi goreng Kambing. This fried rice is different from common fried rice since it has distinctive aroma because use many aromatic herb to get a long with lamb/ mutton meat.
|Lamb/ mutton fried rice serve with shrimp cracker and pickle|
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 5 shalots
- 2 red chilly
- 2 pcs of cloves
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (or 1 cm fresh turmeric)
- 1/4 teaspoon of cumin powder (or 1/4 tsp cumin seed)
- 2 cardamom
- salt to taste
*pure all ingredients above.
- White rice (preferably a bit dry left over one) 4 plates.
- 300 g mutton (plus lard/ fat)
- Ghee (or butter) for sauteing--I use 2 Tbsp
- soy sauce, pepper powder, and salt to taste
- Heat a wok over high heat, cook mutton and fat until cooked and change color for few minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Heat ghee/ butter in same wok, saute ground/ pure spices until fragrant for few minutes. Then stir in meat and stir-fry for few minutes. Combine rice and stir well. Add kecap manis (sweet soy sauce), pepper powder and salt. Test to taste.
- Stir-fry for few minutes, until the rice is a bit dry. Remove from heat and serve warm with cabbage pickle and shrimp cracker.
How to make cabbage pickled (make a head before you make nasi goreng)
shredded cabbage (about 1 cup)
1 cucumber (discard the seed then cubes)
2 medium carrot, cubes
some bird eye chilly
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp water
Mix all together.
|cabbage pickle usually serve with lamb fried rice|