Almost half way of this blessing Ramadhan.... Full of blessing because this summer generally Turkey area are like spring. Usually summer time temperature so high and the air somehow dry. Even tough weather forecast predict temperature will increase slowly start next week but again... this lovely Friday Bursa is wet and fresh again... ^,^
May Allah always gives easiness for you who are doing ramadhan fasting. And May Allah forgive our sins and accept our deeds in this holy month.
Talking about Ramadhan and fasting... I always remember the Ramadhan atmosphere in Indonesia especially in my mom's house. She always prepared Iftar table for us, full of homy meals and "takjil". "takjil" is something sweet that we eat/ drink once the adzan echoed. It's mostly light think to eat/ drink-almost like dessert- before we eat main dish...
How I miss my hometown now.....
And here in Turkey we have a little things different than I had in my homeland but generally Ramadhan is the most joyful that we always waiting for each year.
Our today's dessert after iftar is Damla Sakızlı Fırın Sütlaç (Turkish Rice Pudding with mastic gum). The recipe I take from "Şeker bank tatlı kitab" with minor adjustment. The addition of mastic gum in this recipe gives slightly chewy texture. But you can also try my other recipe without using mastic gum here.
Believe me... this rice pudding is a winner. Once you make it.. you gonna love it and guarantee.. you'll make it again and again.
The process is simple. First you cook rice with enough water until tender (porridge look a like). I added 1 stick of cinnamon to give sweet aromatic in this dessert. In some restaurant or dessert stall they sprinkle cinnamon powder over this rice pudding.
Chill in fridge before serve.
So here the recipe I take from "Şeker bank tatlı kitab" with minor adjustment.
Serve 6 to 7 bowl (@300 ml)
- 40 gr small grains rice
- 400 ml water
- 1 cinnamon stick--> original recipe didn't use it
- ½ tsp damla sakızı (mastic gum), pound it with 1 Tbsp sugar.
- 130 gr sugar --> original use 100 gr
- 30 gr wheat starch --> original recipe 20gr
- 1 lt whole milk
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten.
How to make:
- Over medium heat cook rice with 400 ml water and cinnamon stick until rice is tender, stir occasionally to prevent burnt.
- Pound mastic gum with 1 Tbsp sugar. In other bowl dissolved wheat starch with enough milk. Set a side.
- After rice is tender, stir in sugar, milk and pounded mastic gum. Start to stir frequently and continue to cook until start to boil.
- Temper the yolk with boiling milk and stir into pan, keep stirring slowly. At last mix in wheat starch solution. Continue to cook until it gets thickened. Turn off heat.
- Pour evenly into heat-proof bowl, then broil into oven in water bath just until brown on surface. Chill in fridge before serving.
Afiyet Olsun/ bon appetite.
|I love that burning skin on it's surface... :p|
Check my other Sütlaç recipe: