When you visit Bursa there are some local cuisines you should try. For example; İskender Kebab, Bursa cantık (read; jantek is a kind of pide with round shape with meat topping), Pideli Köfte, İnegöl Köfte, Yenişehir Kasap Köfte, Kemalpaşa tatlısı, kestane şekeri, and more with recommended places around the city.
Some of them I already post here in my page for you if you want to make at home. And now I'd like to share my homemade Pideli Köfte (kofte meatball with pide bread).
The flat meatball serve over pide chunks flush with tomato sauce then during serving hot melting butter splashed over the plate, bring wonderful appetite aroma.
Also serve with yogurt, grilled tomato and carliston chili pepper bring you more another delicacy of traditional Turkish food. For complement serve some vegetables pickles, chili pickles and ezme in other small plates.
Because of so many complement and things to prepare mostly people eat outside and hesitate to prepare at home. But for me who love to try new thing/ recipe especially Turkish cuisine. And more over, those complements are things that always ready in my fridge.
But if you want to make it at home as well, basically you just need to prepare pide bread, meatball and tomato sauce which I will share today.
You can check how to make ezme here. For pide/ flat bread you can use ready one from your local bakery or make by your self with my recipe here.
Pideli Köfte recipe (Turkish Kofte with pide/ flat bread)
Serve 4~5 portions
- 700 gr minced meat, mix 50:50 lamb and beef ( I usually mix with a little fat)
- 2 Tbsp breadcrumb or 2 slice stale bread (white part only), crumbled
- 1 medium onion, finely grated
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
Mix everything and lightly knead to combine. Take meatball mixture and shape it round and flat. Do to all mixture until finish.
- carliston chili pepper
- tomatoes, roughly slice
- thick yogurt
- pide bread, cut into bite size, ready bough or you can see my recipe here
- 3 big tomatoes
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- pinch of salt
- small amount of water
- Boil enough water in medium pan, make narrow cross slit at bottom of tomatoes so it'll easy to peel later. Put them into boiling water for 1 or 2 minutes. Strain and dip into cold water for couple minutes.
- Peel the tomatoes and discard the seed. Puree it. You can use hand blender or use grater.
- Put into medium pan, mix in tomato paste, a little amount of water and pinch of salt, cook over medium heat until bubbling.
After you ready with everything, prepare your charcoal and grill. Cook meatballs over the grill at low heat. Put Carliston chili pepper and tomato slices also on the grill. You can use grill pan also over the stove.
To serve; cut pide/ flat bread into bite size, arrange on platter. Put some meatballs, tomato slice and carliston chili, flush with tomato sauce.
Heat butter then directly flush over the plate. Serve it right away with thick yogurt and some complements.